June 29, 2007

I am officially domesticated…

I have my first-ever garden this summer. I went to the store and spent all sorts of money on seeds, soil, containers, a watering can, and some plants. I bought some tomato plants and I started some cucumbers, zucchini, yellow squash, and oregano from seeds. First lesson in gardening: cucumbers, zucchini, and yellow squash plants look almost exactly the same when you don’t pay attention when transplanting seedlings to containers. I planted the seedlings in April. I just found out yesterday which plant was which (they actually started producing vegetables).

I have to admit: I truly doubted my ability to garden. I assumed the poor little plants would be at my mercy as they dried up and died. My suspicions were nearly confirmed when all of the leaves on my plants started turning white. I was positive I had given them some horrible disease. Turns out they just needed a little fertilizer. This gardening stuff is getting easier.

Second lesson is gardening: patience is important (and I virtue I do not possess). I was soooo excited when I saw the first ever tomato I had grown appear on the plant. I even dragged my husband outside to see it. I was going to take a picture as proof that I could indeed support life and growth. It was only a little cherry tomato, but I had actually made something grow. That was weeks ago. I have still not been able to actually eat a vegetable from my garden. My plants are full of all sorts of vegetables (and fruits, if you want to get technical about the tomatoes)…but they are all small, still growing, and unripe. How much longer do I have to wait?!?! Turn red tomatoes! Turn red!

Someday, I will actually get to pick a vegetable from my garden. I will enjoy the fresh, happy, I grew-this-myself yumminess. I do have concerns that this caring and nurturing life for the purpose of eating vegetables may somehow indicate that I am a grown-up. I object! I just made a bigger version of those little plants you would grow in a plastic cup in elementary school. I may be domesticated, but at heart, I am still a five year old amazed that I can make something grow.

3 comments:

Keesha Washington said...

You should feel good, gardening is a fun undertaking, or at least I have heard.

Me, I am so terrible that when my lawn mower broke, I "mowed" my entire lawn with a weed whacker (yikes!) So attempting gardening is way beyond my capacity.

So for now, I am content with watching the Gardening channels on television and driving pass beautiful gardens in my 'hood.

Blessings, Keesha

Emily Suess said...

Ok, you got me. I came from BC thinking I was gonna find baby pictures.

eagerblogger said...

I love to do some gardening too but I just don't have the time and space for it. I would have wanted some fruit trees and a vegetable patch. :(